Monday, December 5, 2016

My Caleb

Caleb William Tocci - Born 12/5/12
Our baby boy.. Our almost 9 lb. not so little boy who took his time getting here. Not only was he due in November despite coming in December, but I also was told several weeks before my due date that he would almost definitely come early. So you can imagine my frustration and the humor in it all once December rolled around. Here I am at 37 weeks thinking I'm having a baby soon.
Here I am at almost 41 weeks wondering what the heck is happening.
Haha.. oh gosh.. ahh those sweet sweet memories. I at least got all my Christmas shopping done before Caleb even arrived! Once it was December I was like "ok, if this kid insists on coming in December than I'm going to make sure ALL the shopping is done before he comes!" And that I did. You can imagine the humor in a VERY pregnant lady, walking around target with a cart full of hundreds of dollars worth of Christmas gifts.. haha. As I was walking out of one store someone nicely said "awe look at you getting all your shopping done before that baby comes! Good for you! When are you due?" I quickly kept walking and flashed a cheesy fake smile and yelled "LAST WEEK!" Hahahaha.. I still laugh remembering that.
Caleb did eventually come and has made all our lives quite exciting since then lol. Everything about this labor was completely different than my first. Quick and WAY more painful. Other than him FINALLY arriving, the best thing about the day he was born, is how even within the first few hours of his life we saw glimpses of his unique personality. Even the nurses were commenting on how crazy it was that within hours of him being born he had this goofy playful grin on his face already. This picture was taken soon after he was born. It's as if he was thinking to himself "Yes. I'm finally here! Think of all the mischief I can get into.."
We love our little Caleb. It's no secret that he makes my head spin daily, and is consistently challenging my patience. But I am a better mom and all around person because of him. Also, Caleb was..... A SURPRISE! Hahaha yep. If you are close with Nate and I than you may already know that. However, you may not have realized it because we were still thrilled of course. The shock factor wore off quickly and we soon became excited about our new addition to our little family. It's honestly ironic that Caleb of all children was not a planned baby considering EVERYTHING about this kid is spontaneous and unplanned even still to this day lol. Caleb has been surprising us since the day he was conceived.. and I wouldn't have it any other way!
Caleb is a fun loving strong willed boy with an adventurous spirit that knows no fear. I've grown to love his adventurous spirit that knows no fear.. despite still fearing for his life daily haha. As parents we never want our kids to miss out on fun or things that could make them happy because of fear. We want them to try new things and not live in a constant state of worry or regret. I know that Caleb is only 4, but I'm pretty sure we won't ever have to worry about that with him. We should have known we were in for it when the kid decided to walk at the age of 8 MONTHS!!!! Yes, you read that correctly. I think that's honestly when all the craziness started, since 8 month olds really should NOT be walking haha. Caleb learned at a VERY young age that life is way more fun when you can be free and explore. He was always getting into dangerous situations. Therefore we were constantly worried for his safety and constantly running after him. At first we thought it was just his lack of awareness or simply just immaturity.. and I'm sure some of it still is of course! But as Caleb came into the toddler stage we realized it's also partially his lack of fear that leads him into danger and prompts him to do things that have us scratching our heads. Yep. No fear. Caleb loves adventure, and I love that about him. I can't wait to see him continue growing up and continue surprising us all with his vivacious adventurous spirit. He's only 4 and I already see him living life to the fullest.
When I looked up the meaning of Caleb, this is what I found: "It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Caleb is "faith, devotion, whole hearted". Biblical meaning: Caleb, a companion of Moses and Joshua, was noted for his astute powers of observation and FEARLESSNESS in the face of overwhelming odds." That made me smile! My hope and prayer for Caleb, is that as he grows up he can use his spirit and fearlessness as a way to bring glory to God and be a motivation for others.
Today, I am shocked to say that my crazy little baby Caleb is 4 years old. I know as moms we always say "we can't believe it". But no seriously guys.. I really can't believe it!!! Haha. The time has flown by and yet I'm always doing my best to slow down and enjoy every moment. So today being Caleb's birthday was the perfect day to reflect on how he came into the world, and all the awesomeness he brings to our life. Happy birthday to Caleb.. my son who hates wearing clothes, laughs at everything, jumps first thinks later, and by the grace of God has not yet had to be rushed to the hospital : )
...and for teaching me that life is always more fun when you can be free and explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment